Monday, May 28, 2007

Jiye Jiye Jiye Jiye Jiye Pakistan

Ameer HamzaA Karachi-based photojournalist loves his country and how.

[This is the ninth article in the Proud, Powerful and Pak series.]

[By Ameer Hamza; he lives in Karachi and his photo gallery can be viewed here.]

Heritage
We have so many historical sites which people don't know about. Most Pakistanis are unaware of their true heritage. So people like me are always stumbling upon something or the other and reporting back to publications like PIA, Dawn and Friday Times. My favourite heritage sites include Jhaki Bander, Ranikot, Badshahi Masjid, Altit Fort, and Mehrgarh ruins.

Mother
I am not sure whether Pakistan gave me my mother or my mother gave me this country. Both are beautiful and inseparable.

Landscape
No other country in the world has such fantastic topography. From Arabian Sea beaches to the high walls of K2, we have the highest gradient slope on Earth. I bet not many Pakistanis are aware of it. That's another romance of the country.

Politics
It could be a great thing about Pakistan. Perhaps some time in the future. None exists at present. Everyone wants to sit on the throne, eat everyone else's fruits, own plots in Defence and kill every opponent. Interestingly, democracy is some alien concept here. Everyone wants it and is prepared to do anything to have it but no one really is sure about it. Actually, living in Pakistan is like wanting something that you are not exactly sure of.

Girls
And yes, we have some of the finest girls in the world. But ahem, the rest of the world is also full of them. On second thoughts, I guess I'm not sure whether I have enough experience and expertise to talk on this one!

[Pakistanis from all walks of life are invited to share what they believe are the five best things about their country. You too must be a part of this. Send your favourites to mayankaustensoofi@gmail.com.]

No comments: