Sunday, August 24, 2008

50 Pakistani Destinations Before You Die - Lawrence Garden, Lawrence Garden, Lahore

Lawrence Garden Memories, Lahore

Listening to the sound of trees.

[Pictures by Raza Rumi]

This is the first article in the 50 Pakistani Destinations Before You Die series.

Before the Partition

I was born in Lahore in 1936. We lived not far away from Lawrence Gardens, at No. 10 Egerton Road. Some of my earliest memories are of going to the gardens in a tonga, down Lawrence Road, next to the unending wall around Governor's house, the main entrance guarded by white British soldiers.

I remember a large plantation of tall pine trees at the beginning of the gardens, near the Gymkhana Club. I remember the Cosmopolitan Club, where my father was a member, the big lawns outside where we often played. Also, as an avid cricket fan, I remember watching Abdul Hafeez Kardar score 176 runs against the visiting Australian cricket team in the ground which was located inside the gardens.

After 1947, I have never been able to return to Lawerence Gardens or see my beloved Lahore again.
Subhash Mahindra, Hyderabad, India

Childhood memories

Lawrence Garden is truely amazing. It reminds me of my early morning Saturday walks with my father and sister when i was young. Those were different times and we actually had time to indulge is such pasttimes. A stroll in the Lawrence was always very refreshing, I remember climbing the hillocks and spotting fellow walkers.

I even once met the great Imran Khan there. He looked so giant.
Hassan Masud, Lahore

Where the heart is

I have walked for years in the Lawrence Gardens -- in solitude and with people. My fondest memories of Lahore are in one way or another linked to this splendid place. Often, my soul wanders there to experience the solace and reconnection that the human spirit yearns for. Whenever I have wanted to hear the sound of trees, I have not been disappointed.
Raza Rumi, Lahore

Pass me the sutta

Lawrence Garden Memories, Lahore

All secured here

Lawrence Garden Memories, Lahore

Ah, shade

Lawrence Garden Memories, Lahore

Library now

Lawrence Garden Memories, Lahore

Shhh, I'm smoking

Lawrence Garden Memories, Lahore

[The author-photographer blogs at Jahane Rumi, Pak Tea House and Lahore Nama]

4 comments:

Asifa said...

Looks like the photographer couldn't find women to acknowledge in his series. typical male chauvenist. and what's up with the male congregation in on eof the snaps? they all are wearing same colours, out of jail, whay say?

Asifa Mahmud

Saifullah said...

LOL Asifa. Also no comments from women either, only men blab blab in Pakistan. Yaar are you really shocked that there is no commentary from women or no photos? it's the land of the oppressors, c'mon, let's face that we Pakistani men keep our women in chaddor. Pathetic nostalgia above. Men having their suttas, being mard na! Thank God for my family upbringing in recognising and appreciating the women in our household and in society.

Anonymous said...

Will there ever come a day when the Indians and Pakistanis can cross the borders freely without any checkposts to stop us from exploring each other's nations. What would this take from we people, the politicians, the armed forces, the religion's supposed gate-keepers. Am I dreaming here

Sujoy Mukherjee said...

I am a hindu brahmin from India, however I feel Pakistan has got more liberty and social space for Hindus than the world actually thinks it has. From Barmer to Umarkot, for example, you see almost the same geography, the same people and lifestyle. Same when you crossover from Gsanganagar to Bahawalnagar, from Jammu to Sialkot, from Bhuj to Tando Mohammad Khan... I am surprised to observe how can religion and nationality divide people of such lands to such a political extent.... When I can celebrate Eid and other festivals in Delhi with as much gusto and enthusiam as it is celebrated in Lahore, then a hundred miles across either side of the border makes no difference I feel..... I am among a large group of civilians in India who love Pakistan, who wud love to see Pakistan not as an American tourist but as one of the family, who crave for the deserts of Sindh, the holy waters of Indus, the cool breeze once you cross the Bolan pass, the distant blue mountains as seen from Dera Ghazi Khan, the whistling and shouts of the polo players of Skardu and Gilgit, the beautiful Kalash women of Chitral and the Bazaars (and of course the great food) of Karachi, Hyderabad, Jacobabad, Multan, Lahore, Quetta, Dera Ismail Khan and Peshawar, not to forget the 6 ft. 'Roti' of Bannu, local cuisine of Mianwali, Sialkot, Ft. Sandeman, Sibi, Mirpur Khas and Umarkot. The love cannot fade from our hearts, even if we are born long after 1947....please let this be known to all my muslim brothers who live in Pakistan !